Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Willy Pogany


Someone that I have been interested in lately is Willy Pogany. Truth be told I do not know as much as I would like to about him but I have wasted much time google image searching his work when I should be doing homework. He is a hungarian born illustrator who did most of his work between 1912 and 1918. I first became interested in him when I saw his illustrations for The Tales of Lohengrin,and had glorious plans to buy a copy of the book for myself, but unfortunately, the cheapest copy I found cost around $300. So it is google for me.

His artwork runs the gamut of bright festive oils to darker lithographs, and he did work on ad campaigns as well as illustrations for sacred texts and fairy tales. To the right are two plates from The Tales of Lohengrin, considered by many to be his masterpiece.

The good news is, one of his instructional books, The Art of Drawing, is being reprinted. I found it on Amazon for around $10. I think that is as much Pogany as I can afford these days, but it might make a good summer project. Here is hoping there will be more reprinting, and less expensive copies of Willy Pogany's illustrations in the future, but until then, happy Google Image Search to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment